Therapeutic Storytelling over time has proven to be, through our projects, an effective tool as well as within everyone’s reach. Following the publication of the text The Therapeutic Storytelling. Authentic communication as a tool for the rediscovery of the self as part of an us, by Aglaya Jimenez Turati, in which a sharing of constructive and profound experiences of therapeutic storytelling in different contexts was carried out, we decided to follow up this initiative by creating a community through which we could spread the importance of the use of narration as an instrument of social transformation. The definition proposed in the text of this tool is:
Storytelling itself is communication and communication when it is authentic and always therapeutic, because it brings us back to a conception of ourselves as part of a whole, recognizing us through the direct interaction that is the result of the contact that occurs through our senses, but also the mental connection that sharing what we carry inside creates. In this way it brings us back to the primordial need for contact with our fellow human beings, the need we have for each other and predisposes us to give and receive dialogue.
Actually, what happens through this practice is to re-educate ourselves to an emotional communication, which has turned out to be a relational bridge that promotes harmony and reduces or even eliminates conflicts that may arise from various factors such as misunderstandings, but also socio-economic and cultural factors, and so on, but also our inability, which is growing, to accept our own emotions and those of others, based on the filters of our imagination that increasingly separate rather than unite. Considering different contexts, the reference text exposes the usefulness even at macro level the depth with which this tool creates the basis for authentic communication, both in conditions of negative peace and in conditions of conflict or post-conflict. Since the basic idea is linked to a collective conception of ourselves as human beings, the idea was born to create a space (the Community) where to work both on this practice and to relate those who will then be enabled to organize Therapeutic Storytelling Laboratories.
1. Promote emotional communication as a privileged form of interaction to foster social harmony and positive peace;
2. Foster collective empowerment from both an individual and community perspective, fostering social inclusion, integration and the concept of community;
3. Stimulating the process of awareness in people who will have access to the community directly or indirectly, stimulating awareness about different phenomena that affect different societies;
4. To help, through Therapeutic Storytelling, the creation of a context of trust and a different perception of the group, in which participants find support and re-elaborate the importance of the idea of community;
5. Fostering an understanding of emotions and their role within the communicative relationship, allowing to identify and overcome obstacles to authentic and emotional communication.
Anyone, privately or associations and organizations and public bodies can join the package and organize the course and/or laboratories. Concretely, the methodology we intend to follow is to offer the course individually or a package, consisting of a course followed by the laboratories. Initially, those who join, will be able to participate in the Therapeutic Storytelling Course, which will be held in the presence or online Aglaya Jimenez Turati, lasting 4 meetings of three hours each. The number of participants for each course is maximum 20. Then, for those who also participate in the second phase, there will be the Therapeutic Storytelling Laboratories, open both to participants of the first phase and to external participants and always lasting three hours each, whose promotion and organization of the spaces and the possible connection is by the adherent organization, in which those enrolled in the course will do a direct training together with external participants. Again, there is a maximum number of participants, which is 25 people. There will be an online sharing space for all members who will automatically become part of the community where they can tell their experience and share opinions and emotions related to it.
The distinctive features of the project are:
1. A virtual meeting space or in presence in which to approach the Therapeutic Storytelling, associated with a direct training and the experience of participation in laboratories;
2. Presentation of the reference text during the course, as its basis, and the modules of the course program;
3. Re-education to an authentic and conscientizing communication based on storytelling and listening skills;
4. Direct and experiential training on a topic decided during the course;
5. Sharing platform open to all members of the community where you can present your experience, experiences, advice or other than what you have done.
6. Those who will participate to the whole package, course and labs, will get a certification.
Programme of the course:
Module 1: Therapeutic storytelling: history and experiences of social transformation.
Module 2: Therapeutic storytelling in conflict and post conflict contexts.
Module 3: Conscientization through dialogue
Module 4: Emotional communication
The idea is that there is the possibility to access the course individually composed of four meetings or the complete package, consisting of course + laboratories lasting a total of 8 meetings, 4 for lessons and 4 for laboratories.
- Publicizing and promoting the community on multiple channels
- Text promotion
- Photos and video reports available on the website and on the dedicated page of Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.
- Local promotion by member organizations
The costs of each package, course and/or laboratories, are listed below, each association or member body must pay in advance the amount. However, in case an organization has any difficulty, we foresee the possibility to look together for a way to finance its participation entirely through fundraising events, private donations and participation in calls for proposals, postponing the beginning of the lessons until the amount needed to support the course has been reached.
|Cost of each single Therapeutic Storytelling Course (4 lessons; max 20 pp)||600 euro|
|Cost for each package that includes course and laboratories of Therapeutic Storytelling (8 meetings; max 40 pp)||800 euro|
|Organization of the spaces for courses and laboratories, local promotion and internet connection||Organized by the association who participate|
|Cost per copy of the book The therapeutic storytelling||15,99 euro|
Info and contacts:
Aglaya Jiménez Turati
 Aglaya JIMENEZ TURATI, Lo storytelling terapeutico. La comunicazione autentica come strumento per la riscoperta del sé come parte di un noi, pubblicazione online, 2020, p. 13.