Over time, Therapeutic Storytelling has proven to be, through our projects, an effective tool as well as affordable for everyone. Following the publication of the text “The Therapeutic Storytelling. Authentic Communication as a tool for the rediscovery of the self as part of an us”, by Aglaya Jimenez Turati, in which we shared constructive and profound experiences of therapeutic storytelling in different contexts, we decided to follow up this initiative by creating a community through which we can spread the importance of the use of storytelling as a tool for social transformation. In fact, what happens through this practice is to re-educate ourselves in emotional communication, which has proven to be a relational bridge that promotes harmony and reduces or eliminates conflicts that arise from various factors such as misunderstandings, but also socio-economic and cultural factors, personal and the increasingly absent ability to accept our emotions and those of others, based on the filters of our imagination that increasingly separate rather than unite. Considering different contexts, the reference text exposes the usefulness even at a macro level the depth with which this tool creates the basis for authentic communication, both in conditions of negative peace, and in conditions of conflict or post-conflict. Since the basic idea is linked to a collective conception of ourselves as human beings, the course was born, in order to train the use of this practice and enable the organization of Therapeutic Storytelling workshops.
The course is for:
- Associations, institutions and entities that work in the social field;
- Those who are studying in the field of sociological, psychological, humanistic or social disciplines;
- Those who have experience in the field of social communication and want to add this practical knowledge to their expertise, in order to increase their working range;
- Those who are involved in advocacy, community management, or simply want to know how to deal with issues that involve their area of responsibility;
- If you want to be a facilitator on Therapeutic Storytelling.
What you will learn through the Therapeutic Storytelling course
Each module will provide specific practical and theoretical training activities, through the possibility of direct interaction with the trainer and the community in which to constantly compare the course and the activities undertaken afterwards.
Some points will be deepened through moments of reflection and practical activities to:
- Promote emotional communication as a privileged form of interaction to foster social harmony and positive peace;
- Promote collective empowerment in both an individual and community perspective, encouraging social inclusion, integration and the concept of community;
- Stimulate the process of conscientization in people who will have access to the community directly or indirectly, stimulating awareness of various phenomena that affect different societies;
- To help, through Therapeutic Storytelling, the creation of a context of trust and a different perception of the group, in which participants find support and rework the importance of the idea of community;
- Fostering an understanding of emotions and their role within the communicative relationship, thus enabling the identification and overcoming of obstacles to authentic and emotional communication.
- The trainer of this course is Aglaya Jiménez Turati, author of the course’s reference text: “The Therapeutic Storytelling. Authentic Communication as a tool for the rediscovery of the self as part of an us”.
Methodology and development
The course has a duration of 8 weeks and 5 modules will be addressed. The eight meetings last two hours each, with a break ( if needed) of 10 minutes in the middle, after an hour. It will take place entirely online through the Zoom platform and has a minimum number of participants, 5 people. It is a course that is divided into a theoretical part and an experiential part.
At the end of the course a test is required to obtain the certificate. This must be delivered within a month of the end of the course and can be written or by video.
BONUS: at the end of the course students will be automatically enrolled for free the Therapeutic Storytelling Community group on Facebook where they can follow up and discuss ideas, challenges and proposals with all those who participate or carry out Therapeutic Storytelling projects globally.
Module 1: Therapeutic Storytelling: history and experiences of social transformation This module includes: Introduction to the course
Experiences of therapeutic storytelling in social transformation
Storytelling and Education
What you will learn concretely: Distinguish the various forms of Storytelling.
Identify the forms of Therapeutic Storytelling in the world
Theoretical knowledge related to the use of Therapeutic Storytelling in education
Module 2: Therapeutic Storytelling in Conflict and Post-Conflict Contexts This module includes: Dialogue in Conflict Contexts
What you will learn concretely: – Recognizing a conflict and post-conflict context through a general view of two cases: Colombia and South Africa
– Experiences of Therapeutic Storytelling in the two contexts considered
Working with witnesses in conflict and post-conflict contexts
Module 3: Conscientization through Dialogue This module includes: Analysis of Peace Words Therapeutic Storytelling projects.
Design of a Therapeutic Storytelling project
The workshops: the steps and concrete application
What you will concretely learn: Understanding and identifying issues at the local level
Creation of a Therapeutic Storytelling workshop
Module 4: Emotional Communication This module includes: Elements of emotional communication
Authentic communication: theory and practice
What you will learn concretely: Emotional Communication Training
Module 5: Simulation of a Therapeutic Storytelling Workshop This module includes: Simulation of a workshop: hands-on experience
What you will concretely learn: Management of a Therapeutic Storytelling Workshop.
We need a voluntary contribution for the course which cannot be less than 160 Euros per person if you sign up and pay in advance, otherwise you can pay in two different tranches of 85 Euro, one at the beginning and one at the end of the second month.
In addition you should pay 10 euro for the annual Peace Words membership.
To pay the course:
Peace Words, Credito Valtellinese Agenzia n 1 di Brescia Piazzale Arnaldo 26, 25100 Brescia
Causale: Donation for the Therapeutic Storytelling Course
To subscribe, send the application form together with the receipt of the bank transfer to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Info and Contacts Aglaya Jiménez Turati
tel. +39 3206718386 (whatsapp only)